The Dallas Stars announced new jersey numbers today, including four players from last season changing their numbers.
The new numbers are as follows:
- Valeri Nichushkin will wear #43
- Rich Peverley will wear #17
- Dan Ellis will wear #30
- Sergei Gonchar will wear #55
- Jordie Benn will change from #58 to #24
- Ryan Garbutt will change from #40 to #16
- Jamie Oleksiak will change from #43 to #5
- Antoine Roussel will change from #60 to #21
Nichushkin wore #43 in the KHL last season, so good for him that he will continue to wear that with the Stars.
Garbutt switching to 16 might bring back memories of Pat Verbeek, although Garbutt can't necessarily be labeled a "Little Ball of Hate" since he's 6'0" and Verbeek is 5'9". Although apparently, Garbutt had no clue he was switching to 16.
Oleksiak's switch to 5 is close to his Texas Stars number 6, and it appears that will be a more permanent number for him.
Perhaps the most intriguing change is Roussel changing to 21 not too long after the Stars traded Loui Eriksson, the timing of which might leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouths of some Stars fans. For what it's worth, Roussel wore 27 with the Texas Stars.